Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Go, Boris

I was originally going to write this as a comment on Psychbloke's blog (http://psychbloke.blogspot.com ) - but I thought if I'm going to be offensive I'd better stay here.
That article in The Spectator - what's the problem?
I think the media reaction to it (the same media camped outside Ken Bigley's sick grandmother's bedroom window), was as hysterically over-reactionary as their coverage was of Bigley's situation in the first place.
Sure, we all know his name, his plight was much more tragic because he was British. What were the names of the two Americans captured with him? I don't know. What was the name of that Turkish truck driver that got decapitated? I don't know that either.
As for the accusations that the Liverpool community are wallowing in it -yeah - they are, they always do. How dare anyone say it.

5 comments:

Psychbloke said...

Hmmmmm.....I can remember expressing similar sentiments when Di died, but I'm less sure now...
OK:
The media are heartless and intrusive....
We care more about and empathise with those that are 'like us'.....
The way grief is expressed by some groups is dramatic, sometimes melodramatic ...
Our emotional responses are partly guided by the media......

We know all this - Boris does too I'm sure, so what was he playing at eh ?

Dominic Zero said...

Well, I just think the over-reaction side of things is getting out of hand.
Everyone's so fucking 'sensitive' - we'll get to a PC point in this country where nothing gets written or said because they're scared of upsetting somebody (or even their 'community').
And...it is always Liverpool!

Psychbloke said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Psychbloke said...

I think you're right....my worry is that the inevitable and probably desirable reaction against the excesses of PC is hijacked by those 'straight talking - I speak as I find' types who suddenly feel that they can use a public position to spout nonsense.
Boris seems to be moving onto this ground on his blog.....I'm suspicious.....suspicious enough to tempt me away from the Star Wars nonsense I usually write
(Indeed....who mourned for the entire planet of Alderaan eh ? But one old desert hermit goes and pops his clogs....)

Dominic Zero said...

Actually I still wake up in the night screaming over Alderaan. I'm deeply scarred - who'd of thought Peter Cushing could do such a thing.
I'm suspicious too - I'm no big Boris fan, and I do think Billy Connelly should have been ripped to pieces by an angry mob (mind you, I thought that a long time before he made a Bigley joke).
I suppose the reaction to over PCness is that we're going to have people going too far the other way.
I think I'd rather have it that way.